Wednesday, October 22, 2008

At American Furniture

Yesterday I put on one of the little "May I pray for you?" buttons that Geri Morrison had given me.  My wife and I had gone to Fort Collins to look at a couch she saw on Craig's list.  Walking into the man's house I was conscience of the prayer button and wondered if he was going to ask us to pray.  I even said to my wife as we were walking in, "where is your prayer button?"

She said, "I gave mine away yesterday and forgot to get another one."   

Well, the man never said anything about the button.  And I kind of forgot about it until now.  But as I'm reading and reflecting this morning about how God reaches his people, I was struck with another experience that happened yesterday immediately after visiting the man's house.   

As we were leaving, I told my wife, "why don't we go look at bunk beds at American Furniture."  As we were there looking around, a sales lady joined us.  After helping us look at a few bunk beds she gave us her name... Carolyn.  She said to identify her if we made an online order so she got the commission.  Just as I finished writing down her information... She pointed to the button on my shirt... with a look on her face of... What's that?

I said, "O we have a nurse..."

She looked confused.  Then we explained the whole story of how the buttons got started.  And I asked her, "Would you like this button?"  

"Yes!" she said with excitement.

"Could I pray for you?"  

"Yes, please pray for my husband Mike.  He is battling cancer."

So right there, in American Furniture, our family had the opportunity to pray with a total stranger and send her on her way with a prayer button.  What a powerful example of the truth that God has his people everywhere.  People hungry for prayer.  People hungry for hope.  People waiting for a mission.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus I lift up Carolyn and Mike to you today.  Father I ask that You will bless their lives and fill them with Your Holy Spirit.  Father open the way for him to get the help he needs.  Father fill him with Your Holy Spirit.  Fill Him with Your power and grace.  Father I ask that You will provide for their family financially.  I'm sure this is a very difficult time.  Father, please surround them with Your love and grace and assure them that You will never leave them nor forsake them.  Father they need You desperately.  

Supply all of their needs according to Your riches in glory.  Amen!

No comments: